STATEMENT 108 | Photo: Prensa Libre.
The High-Risk Judge “D”, Erika Aifán, decided today to bound over for trial six members of the criminal structure known as “Los Huistas“, who committed acts of corruption and impunity. Five of them were ordered to remain in pre-trial detention.
At the initial hearing statement, the judge deemed that the evidence is sufficient to order the defendants to stand trial for the following crimes:
- Juan Bautista Rozotto López, alias “Juancho”:conspiracy and obstruction of a criminal case and ideological falsehood.
- Rudy Nery Martinez Xutuc (attorney): ideological falsehood and obstruction of a criminal case.
- Raúl Antonio Salazar Pérez, alias “Seco”: conspiracy.
- Alfredo Antonio Salazar Pérez alias “Gordo”: conspiracy.
- José Manuel Solórzano Pérez alias “Tosho”: conspiracy.
- CelvinDonaldoJerónimoTobar (Attorney): ideological falsehood and obstruction of a criminal case.
The Judge set February 22, 2019, for the prosecutor to complete the investigation and file a formal accusation against the defendants. The intermediate hearing was scheduled for August 15, 2019.
On September 8, 2013, the National Civil Police (PNC) arrested Juan Bautista Rozotto López, alias “Juancho,” while he was moving Q600 thousand in cash in the hidden compartment of a car. His arrest resulted in a process against money laundering, which was later closed by the illegal actions of the criminal structure that presented false evidence for his defense.
A judge ordered to intercept the calls of the members of this group that were trying to release Juan Bautista Rozotto López, alias “Juancho” by providing documents that would falsely accredit the legality of the money. Also, the investigations identified other collaborators and members of the criminal structure, including attorneys and entrepreneurs.
On November 22, the attorney Mario Alfredo Menéndez Martinez was bound over for trial and ordered pre-trial detention for ideological falsehood and obstruction of a criminal case.